Wednesday, January 24, 2018

My "Leadership" Style

I've thought about blogging the core of this post for about a year and a half. I finally alluded to it in one of those off-the-blog chats I mention all the time. So, here it is:

---------------- 

When I was offered the opportunity to join the management team at the store, it was because a Front End manager position opened up.

Applications for the position were never invited.

I found out later that the General Manager of the store, the HR guy and the two remaining Front End managers talked among themselves and, they say, unanimously, chose to offer the position to me.

There was no interview.

One day, I was taken aside by the lead Front End manager, told that I had been unanimously chosen to fill the position and asked to consider accepting it.

During that conversation, the Front End manager told me why I was the person chosen for the position.

Surprisingly...to me, stunningly,...she said,

"Because of your leadership..."

Her comment led to a great moment of insight for me.

----------------

On that job, I had determined, from the first day, to be Jesus to everyone I encountered, as literally and obviously as I am able.

With every customer, but particularly, with the most difficult of them, in every moment, I imagined Jesus, on the cross, suffering for me and, I imagined Him saying, "Come, follow me."

I heard Jesus commanding me to turn the other cheek and to walk the second mile.

With every incident with a difficult coworker I reminded myself that, for a follower of Jesus, to be the greatest is to be the slave of all.

To be honest, I didn't always achieve Jesus, but I always, always, sought to.

-----------------

Then, there was that startling moment when I was listening to my manager offering me a position on the management team,...

...of all things,...

...not because of my servant behavior,...

...but, because of my LEADERSHIP.

Apparently, she...and the other remaining Front End manager and the HR guy and the General Manager,...

...when they observed my imitation of Jesus on the cross and the cheek turning and the second mile walking...

...didn't interpret that behavior as servanthood.

For them, I was being a leader.

----------------

Now, the truth in the CGGC, particularly, in the ERC, is that, in reality, there have been no leaders, for many years.

Here's why I say that:

There, clearly, have been no followers.

An example of proof of that reality is that no one followed the 2015 ERC old new Strategic Plan.

No one followed. Not even one person.

That's exactly what is meant by the hierarchs' admission that the plan became, words on paper.

No one followed. There were no followers. None at all.

If there are no followers, by definition, there were no leaders.

In real-world terms, and for many years, no one in the ERC, up through the dispensation of the 2015 old new Strategic Plan, has been a leader.

----------------

As I read the New Testament, I read that, in the Kingdom of God, to be great is not to lead or to attempt to lead,...

...in the Kingdom of God, to be great is to become a servant,...

...and, to be the greatest in the Kingdom is not to aspire to an important position in the religious institution,...

...it is to be the slave of all...

...of ALL, even, especially, to quote Jesus...

..."the least of these."

----------------

So, I was stunned speechless when, on the job, where I function intentionally as an ambassador of the Kingdom of God and the slave of all,...

...to hear that my attempt to serve as Jesus...

...was, all along, being interpreted...

...even, especially, by people in authority over me..., not as servanthood,...but as leadership.

ERCers and CGGCers: Read your Gospels. Take the commandments of Jesus as commandments, not suggestions. Live the life He lived.

Those of you who yearn to be followed, become servants...because that's how He chose to, well, lead.

Follow Him.

And,...

...you will be followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment