Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Raiding the Health Savings Account

I have the option, in choosing among the health insurance plans available through my employer, to select a plan with a fairly low premium, a high deductible and the option to set up and contribute to a health savings account. I took that option and, since the coverage began, I have been contributing to the account every cent Uncle Sam permits. Because of IRS regulations, both Evie and I can use those funds to pay eligible medical expenses.


Last year was a fairly good year for us in terms of healthcare issues. Our goal was to start this year with enough saved to cover the deductibles on both of our plans, and we succeeded. 


This year has already been a worse year than all of last year, by far. Our health care expenses have far exceeded the deductibles for the whole year. And, the money is in place to cover all of those charges.


In time, I will receive payments from the short term disability insurance provided by my employer, AT NO COST TO ME. And, I am more thankful for that than I can say.


I am so thankful for the health savings account because, if we had to pay the deductibles while I was bringing in a reduced income, we would be seriously hurting.


As soon as I am cleared to work, I'll be doing all I can do, as God is willing, to build up the account to be prepared, as much as we can be, for whatever we have to deal with next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment