Saturday, March 5, 2016

Failing to Fill Out the 2015 CGGC Ministry Review

I tried to fill out the Statistical Report today--not for the first time.


And, I couldn't do it. Again.


Earlier, I found last year's form, which I filled out but didn't submit because I thought that my responses wouldn't be meaningful, and certainly not edifying, to my brothers and sisters in Findlay.


I was, AM, determined to complete the form this year in a way that will be honest, accurate and edifying but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.


Part of the problem is that some of the items are so offensive to me that I go bonkers even though I've seen them many times, for instance, the number of child dedications. Show me one of those in the New Testament or in the early ministry of the Church of God. And, the tithing of time, talent and treasure. He is the Lord of all we, in our community of gatherings, are and do. That one is an abomination to me and I am enraged every time I lay eyes on those words.


Another part of it is that nearly everything else in the form is irrelevant to what we do and what we believe. And, as people seeking to establish ourselves on the New Testament plan, we think that we are on the right side of the difference and, even more to the point, we used to chase after the goals included in the form and have repented of them with passion and intentionality. So, where the form doesn't offend me, it is so irrelevant that it is impossible for me to understand how to formulate a reply except that I am tempted to preach in reply.


But I do want to reply. I want to be in conversation.


The CGGC is in decline, outside of the blessing of the Holy Spirit and I believe that the statistical report offers evidence as to why. I believe we are chasing after things He wants no part in.


I want us to repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment