Saturday, March 12, 2016

I'm doing a Study on Repentance in the Actual Bible

The study is only in its early days. In the first moment that I realized that I would have a long period of convalescence from my broken wrist, I decided to do, as best I'm able, a study in Hebrew of repentance in the Old Testament because of something I think I've noticed that I want to test out. And, I'm doing that testing now.


But, I've already come up with an important little tidbit which I think is extremely meaningful for today's body of disciples.


The word most commonly used for repentance in OT Hebrew is the word nacham, the ch there is the letter that sounds like you are trying to form a loogie, a hocker. I love pronouncing those words!


Anyway, I discovered, from two highly regarded sources, that the root of the word is the word, "sigh."


The idea is that when you are overwhelmed with emotion, you sigh. A sigh is usually an unconscious act to release pent up frustration or anger or, in the case of this word, sorrow.


When the word is used in reference to another person, it means to take pity or to have compassion for.


And when it applies to the self, it means to be sorry about or to suffer grief over or to repent.


And, that is precisely how the New Testament understands repentance. Paul says, "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation."


With those facts in mind, think about what that atrocious sentence in HERE WE STAND reveals about how unlikely CGGC leadership is to lead the repentance that results in salvation. They are preaching that we are still the spiritually vibrant people we were in 1845!


Not excessive sorrow that leads to the sigh that is repentance.


Haughtiness. Pride. In need of nothing spirituality.


We all, but they especially, need the godly sorrow that leads to repentance and brings salvation.


They need to change in their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment