Saturday, April 16, 2016

My Pastoral Care Worker

Yesterday, on my day off from work, I had lunch with Randy Jenkins, my Pastoral Care Worker. The time I spent with him blessed me, as it always does.


One thing we discussed briefly is that the Pastoral Care Worker ministry of the Conference is being trashed at the end of June, due to financial priorities.


Last year, during Pastor Appreciation Month, Dr. Richardson noted that, in his opinion, the pastors of the Conference are our greatest resource. At almost exactly the same time, he published the new budget which preserved Conference staff salaries and the Conference office fund and eliminated 100% of the stipends of all Pastoral Care Workers.


This strikes me as a painful and tragic example of the CGGC Brand characteristic, TO TALK IS TO WALKISM.


As believers in Jesus, we know that what a person sacrifices for reveals what s/he actually loves.


The Conference is being called on to sacrifice so staff can be paid comfortable salaries while the people who are in the trenches caring for our pastors are being told not to let the door hit them on their way out of the ministry of the Conference.


Foolish.


Hypocritical.


Don't ever believe it again when you hear tender words about how the Conference values its pastors.


Follow the money.



No comments:

Post a Comment