Sunday, April 10, 2016

Fresh Expression 4-10-16

It strikes me that our Sunday group is finding an identity and, for the moment, I believe, that that is a good thing. The comfort that comes with a settled identity can lead to spiritual apathy in the future and that potential problem will have to be kept in mind but it's not a problem for us yet. We seem still to be growing spiritually.


Today, one of our friends from the home confessed that she was struggling with anxiety. We responded in two ways. First  we addressed a lot of our song time and Word time and prayer time to issues related to assurance.  Second, Evie suggested that we reconfigure the chairs and light a fire in the fireplace, which we did and the sight and sounds of the fire were relaxing.


Here are a few things I've been noticing or noticed today.


-Maggie, the world's greatest church greeter, relaxes to the point that she almost melts as soon as we begin singing. It's amazing.


-While it's true that our purpose in gathering is very serious, the tone of our time together is very lighthearted. I paid close attention to the amount of laughter that took place today and I was surprised. We make a joyful noise, not in our singing but in the glee that is in our hearts. The laughter especially predominates our meal time together. (Try that in your mega church, eh?)


-----------------


One other more general note. I write this gathering journal for many reasons. One is to show you who read it what life in community is like for people who walk together in the way we do.


When we began this, I believed in it but had no idea what this would look like or feel like, or if it was even possible.


Based on comments I receive, I know that many of you are reading and are following along with us as we journey.


I appreciate your interest and the kind and supportive comments you make from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment