Saturday, April 11, 2015

SIMPLY JESUS: A Primer for ERCers

As you could not avoid knowing if you are from the ERC, the theme for this year's Yay God sessions is, SIMPLY JESUS.

It seems to me that the very idea of doing what the Conference schedule calls for and suggesting that you could label those activities "SIMPLY JESUS" takes the concept of the oxymoron to stratospheric heights that even no CGGC Yay God Conference has yet achieved. And, it strikes me that the planners of this blasphemy and the people who participate in it without objection or qualm are inviting divine judgment.

So this is what I suggest ERCers do:

Pick one of the four Gospels and read some it every day between now and the end of Conference. When you have read it through, start over and begin reading it again and keep reading and reading until the end of Conference. Pay attention to how Jesus lived, what He said and how He commanded and instructed His followers to live. Imagine His notion of simplicity, of purity, for the individuals who follow Him and, also, His notion of simplicity, purity within His church.

Then judge the ERC gathering by what Jesus actually did and commanded and taught. Take honest stock of ERC's leadership's performance of Jesus' simplicity.

Then, whatever it is that you conclude, obey Jesus in reference to those people. Do something: Praise or confront.

I can remember, even in the days I aspired to inclusion in the Shepherd Mafia, annual complaints about the wasted time at Conference, but never anything more than complaints. I believe it's time for the soft, rumbling anger over Conference to end.

If you don't like it and you love the Lord, and if you love the church, speak and act.

2 comments:

  1. I have often thought that a dominant characteristic of the CGGC during this era of the last eight years or so is that we have world-class slogans, or, Madison Avenue class talk, which is possible, or, at least, easier if you don't plan on being accountable to walk the talk.

    But, as I read the Word, empty talk is spiritually dangerous talk.

    Watch it, bubbas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As longtime readers of JASPERISM know, I work in a grocery store and, I have to say that I enjoy it for the most part. As you can imagine, we are not rolling in the dough off what I earn and we certainly need two incomes to make ends meet. But, I sleep with a much clearer conscience now than when I was working as a parish priest off of the, um, tithes and offerings of people.

    Oops. Excuse that step up on the soapbox.

    I've been thinking about the SIMPLY JESUS theme of Conference, and, especially, the adverb "simply."

    "Simply" is a big word in the grocery store these days. So, you want to market your, say, orange juice these days? Use the word simply. Call it something like, Simply Orange. How very 2015!

    Want to market your churches' spiritual products and services? In 2015? Great idea: Call your your annual Yay God gathering, SIMPLY JESUS.

    My friends, many are the times I condemn the cynicism that runs rampant from the top of the CGGC's highest mountains to the depths of its deepest valleys. But I confess that I can not shake the pull of cynicism in regard to the Yay God gathering about to take place.

    Truly, I hope I am proved wrong and that this will be a week of repentance of Middle Ages, High Church traditions.

    Prove me wrong, gang. Please. PLEASE. Prove me wrong.

    ReplyDelete