Thursday, April 30, 2015

My Understanding of My Calling

Over the years I have been asked two questions about the things I say and do on this blog and in other settings.

1.  Why do you care so much about the CGGC since it is the clearly case that you disagree so vehemently with what it is doing?

2.  Why don't you just leave the CGGC?

I've been answering those questions, when asked, in the same way for years.  Indeed, there really is only one answer for me.  So, briefly, now, on this blog, I'll give my answer.

----------------------------------

I regularly--almost daily and sometimes several times in a single day--consult the Lord about His calling on my life.  I have been doing that for years.  And, from the beginning of that time, I have sensed the same answer, though I have come to understand my calling with slightly increased precision in the years since I began this regular conversation with the Lord.

In brief form this is how I understand my calling:
To uproot and tear down and to destroy and overthrow the pastor-dominated leadership culture and to build and to plant a servant community in which apostles, prophets, evangelists and shepherds and teachers are all empowered to live within their callings and, therefore, to prepare the saints for works of service.
Some of those words are strong, violent words but, perhaps you recognized them, the strongest and most violent of them are Bible words.

Since before I came to understand my calling with this precision and clarity, I understood that the Lord has placed me in the community that has descended from the ministry begun by John Winebrenner. 

Though it would not be necessary that I develop affection for the people whom the Lord has called me to serve, as it happens, I have fallen in love with the Church of God. 

The passion connected to my love for the Church of God does not equal the passion of the love I feel for the Lord but it remains one of the strongest passions of my life.

Though I may sense a change in the Lord's call on my life in the next moment, based on the standing stones in my life, I don't think that is likely.  And, while I may fall out of love for the part of the Kingdom John Winebrenner's ministry began, that doesn't seem likely either.

As long as my sense of calling continues and as long as my passion for the Church of God burns, I will continue on this path.

Blessings and love to all in the Church of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment