Friday, April 10, 2015

Gathering: 4-9-15

There are moments when being involved in three different gatherings--and having been a so-called "planter" of each one--feels like a burden.

There is even a touch of reverse talk-ism that I deal with. I say gathering is not an act of righteousness in the eyes of the Lord and yet I participate in three some weeks and Evelyn, sometimes, in four!

We have a lot of real life going on these days. My former coworker, and extreme extrovert, Matt still lives with us and participates in every gathering he can get to. And, yesterday was a very stressful day here. So, I really wanted to cocoon myself away for the evening. But, we feel a burden for all the churches....

No worries. In fact, joys abounding.

This gathering always begins with the bread and cup. I led for the first time in a long, long time, what turned out to be a wonderful, interactive reflection on the prophecy of the New Covenant from Jeremiah 31.

Then, as we sometimes do, we discussed Francis Chan's, CRAZY LOVE. And, we ended up hitting on a familiar theme: Struggling to understand the difference between practicing mercy and enabling further sin.

Sadly, I have to say, we never get any wisdom on this struggle from any source in the CGGC. I don't say that we are further down that road than anyone else in the body. But, we know of no one else engaged on the struggle to the degree we are.

Anyway...

...I was not looking forward to the gathering, but enjoyed it--which doesn't matter in our world--and was blessed by it, which does matter.

IOW, I was spurred on to love and good works.

1 comment:

  1. BTW, much of our conversation related to Chan's book was inspired by these two sentences:

    "Having faith often means doing what others see as crazy. Something is wrong when our lives make sense to unbelievers."

    It seems to me that what the CGGC does these days makes a lot of sense to unbelievers. Clearly, it didn't in Winebrenner's day but, just as clearly, it does today. These days we are very sensible, as far as the ways of the world are concerned.

    Herein, I believe, lies a serious problem for us, if we are to begin to live as people of kingdom.

    ReplyDelete