Monday, November 13, 2017

There's already Xmas Music on the Radio

I'm not much of a music person these days.

When I listen to the radio, it's usually news or talk.

In fact, the only music I look forward to listening to on the radio is Xmas music.

Very little of that music is about Jesus. A lot of it is about Christmas itself or Santa Claus. Probably at least as much is simply about what people enjoy about snow or cold weather. I remain unconvinced. I HATE cold weather.

I blogged last year why I think it is counterproductive, as a disciple of of Jesus, to make a big deal out the nativity.

No doubt, I'll beat that drum again.

But,...

I stumbled on Xmas music for the first time this year on November 11.

November 11!?!?!?!!!

There's definitely such a thing as too much of a good thing. And, this, in my opinion, is an example of it.

Anyway, the local station that's already doing Xmas music does a countdown around Christmas day of listener's favorite Xmas songs.

So, you go on line and vote, listing the song as performed by a specific artist, voting for as many as three songs.

Here's my three in order:

1. I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS, by Bing Crosby. (I've been sentimental about this one because it makes me think of my dad as we watch him die...very, very slowly.) Dad was in the army in WWII. He was home for Christmas but only in his dreams.

2. THE CHRISTMAS SONG, by Nat King Cole.

3. HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS, by (of all people) James Taylor because he uses the original lyrics and because he does the song very well.

Interestingly, Evie voted for the same three songs...

...by the same artists...

...but with James first, Bing second and Nat third.

No comments:

Post a Comment