Sunday, November 13, 2016

Who Has Plans for Whom?

At the height of my participation in the institutional church, I was a pastor of enough consequence I had a paid, full-time secretary.  Looking back, I'm impressed with myself. Neither Jesus nor Paul had a secretary, let alone one who was full-time!

My secretary's favorite Scripture verse was that, "I know the plans I have for you," verse in Jeremiah. A good verse, no doubt.

I've been thinking about that verse a lot lately since Dr. Richardson of the ERC noted that despite the fact that the idea of a Strategic Plan is foreign to Scripture, he believes we all know the importance of planning and that he and other ERC mountaintoppers were undergoing a process to create a new Strategic Plan to replace the one the Conference approved only last year with great fanfare and joyous enthusiasm.

The idea that disciples of Jesus should come up with plan after plan in the hope that their plans would succeed, excuse the vivid verb but I think it fits, RAPES a most basic truth contained in the Word of God.

The Lord is the creator of all things and He alone possesses power and authority. It is He alone Who can plan.  It is for humans to seek to live under His authority, to seek and to do His will, to understand His plan and to obey Him.

As well-intentioned as Dr. Richardson and his colleagues may be, we all know that previous plans have not been blessed by the One who possesses all power and authority.

Can't they see that it is for the Lord, not for them to plan?!  Well, we know that Dr. Richardson, at least, can see that. He said so in so many words. He, apparently, thinks he can improve on biblical wisdom. Is that blasphemy.  Or, is a more grievous sin, if there is one?

Having a Strategic Plan is, indeed, foreign to Scripture.

But, ERC mountaintoppers are determined to plan any way.

God help us.

God forgive Dr. Richrdson and his fellow planners.

We must repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment