Wednesday, November 16, 2016

My Calling

I've written this up here several times over the years.

I came to understand this in almost exactly in these words for the first time nearly ten years ago.

I pray over this more than anything else I pray about, always asking the Spirit to show me I'm off base, if I'm off base.

It derives from Jeremiah 1:10, Romans 1:1 and Ephesians 4:11-12.  This is it:

To be a servant of Christ Jesus called to be a prophet and set apart to uproot and tear down and to destroy and overthrow the church's pastor dominated leadership culture and to build and to plant a servant community in which apostles, prophets, evangelists and shepherds and teachers are all empowered to live within their callings and, therefore, to prepare the saints for works of ministry.

From early on, I've struggled with the words, "to destroy and overthrow."  These are words that appear over and over again in Jeremiah. Jeremiah carried them as a part of his ministry for decades. They are especially challenging in a shepherd dominated spiritual world.

But, I'm taking them seriously today more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment