Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Sick

I point out, so frequently that I think it annoys some of the kids who work with me, that I'm a geezer.

A few months ago, I was offered and accepted a position in management in the super market I've been at for the past few years.

It has surprised me how much more exhausting the work is compared to what I had been doing, some parts of which was pretty heavy physical work.

The exhaustion has physical and psychological components.  In the job, I'm in demand constantly and the pressure on my introvert-ism is unbelievably intense.

On Monday, I began to feel a worse than normal cold coming on and, starting out with the level of exhaustion that has become normal, my energy level tanked below what allows me to keep up on the job.

Half of Tuesday and half of Wednesday I am lead manager of the front end of the store, so I contacted the guy who works the other manager shifts on those days and told him that I'm only going to work when I'm manager.  

It's hard for me to take the time off because this is Thanksgiving time and our workers are really pushed.  But I believe I have done the best thing if I'll be able to survive Thanksgiving week itself with my coworkers.

I think back to my days as a CGGC parish priest when, if I felt tbis way, I'd just slow down for a few days and no one would notice and I wouldn't have given it a passing thought.

Like many so-called laypeople, I will lose money for the hours I don't work and we're not rolling in it these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment