Friday, August 26, 2016

A Gift of the Movie, GOD'S NOT DEAD

A few days ago, a guy I work with, who is a Millennial, came into the store on his day off to present to me a copy of the movie, GOD IS NOT DEAD.  He had just acquired a spare copy and knew I had never seen it.

Yesterday we watched it.  I'm not going to review the movie here, apart from a brief observation later.

What I will do is comment on the tone of the movie in light of my recent post in which I describe what unchurched seekers consider to be a "true" Christian.

The movie has a number of story lines, most prominently one about a college freshman who stands up radically and without compromise for his faith in the face of a professor who asks all of his students to hand in a paper stating that God is dead, hence the title of the movie.

When my young friend and coworker ended up with an extra copy of the film, it occurred to him to gift it to me.

I asked myself why.

Honestly, my answer is that he sees me as a radical, uncompromising follower of Jesus, and that he wants to be that himself.

In that other post about what people think is a true Christian, I said that Evie and I aspire to be red letter Christians and that I fail to achieve that but am very intentional in that goal while, so often, the lives of church people are tepid and bland.

I strive to be an ambassador for the Kingdom in the world, not a representative of a church.  And, I believe, someone noticed.

I have to say that I didn't really enjoy the movie but I will cherish my copy of it forever because it represents to me my young co-worker's recognition of my desire to be radical and uncompromising in my walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment