Tuesday, February 23, 2016

My Favorite Popular Fiction Authors

A few days ago I mentioned that a week before my injury I found two audio books on sale by authors in the 10 to 15 slots on my list of favorite fiction authors. That was an estimate. But, since then, I have given some thought to the content of that list.


Just a quick note: Reading popular fiction is one of my few hobbies. I probably average 15 to 20 a year. There are some authors I definitely do not like. All on this list, I like at least a little. I'll comment on some of these and not on others.


From my favorite on down:


1. Michael Connelly. Especially the Lincoln Lawyer series, but also the Bosch books.


2. Lee Child.


3. Robert B. Parker. The first of several on the list who have died. I love the Spenser novels and like the Jesse Stones.


4. Vince Flynn. Who died with many unwritten Mitch Rapps in him.


5. Harlan Coben. Some of his, though, I really don't like.


6. Linda Castillo. The author of the Kate Burkholder, Ohio Amish books.


7. Rex Stout. Nero Wolfe. I love the big words.


8. David Baldacci. Most of them.


9. Nelson DeMille. Smart alec.


10.Dick Francis. Some of my absolute favorites were his.


11. Lawrence Block. Love Bernie Rhodenbarr. Nothing else.


12. Tess Gerritsen.


13. Robert Ludlum. I have known Jason Bourne longer than you have.


14. Philip Margolin.


15. Kathy Reichs. Bones.


16. John Grisham. Back in the day, he was my fave but he's gotten very preachy.


17. Lisa Gardner.


18. Agatha Christie. She published THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES in 1920. Her output was monumental. But, it still holds up.

5 comments:

  1. I corrected an oversight and added Kathy Reichs, author of the novels that the TV show, BONES, is based on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a minimum of 23 days until I return to work, probably more than that. So, I set a goal of reading/listening to at least one book by each of the authors on the list...in addition to doing some research and writing on some issues of spiritual significance.

    Much of the reading from the list will entail rereading books that I enjoyed.

    So far, I've checked off Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Vince Flynn and Robert B. Parker and I'm working on a newish Kathy Reichs. I just came with a Grisham I will try to navigate through. I looked for books from other authors on the list and found books but nothing I wanted to sink my teeth into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa Scottoline

    One name I would have had on my list of favorite authors at one time is Lisa Scottoline. I love the Rosato and Associates novels. They do seem to have run out of steam, though. I just found an old one in my library, actually my fave, COURTING TROUBLE. I thought I unloaded it a long time ago.
    This is a dank and dreary day. I am still home bound and I think I'm going to start enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished COURTING TROUBLE. I have the ability to forget who did it in whodunit mystery novels. And, I did remember that it wasn't the obvious person and had two theories. And, I was wrong.
    Actually, the novel was about repentance, as many are. I'm glad I picked this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to make it through my list of favorite authors while I recover. I tried Grisham's latest, GRAY MOUNTAIN but I couldn't make it past chapter five. Clearly, it's going to be a sermon on the evils of the coal industry.
    We don't even have sermons in our gatherings. Why would I want one in a novel?

    ReplyDelete