Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Bored...Out of My Skull

I truly hate typing with my right thumb and I really did expect not be blogging much for quite some time...
...but as of this moment, my pain level is down to, the way the hospital asks it be rated, a 3 or 4 and with very little of the big-gun pain meds, my wrist is still crippled and I am getting a bit restless.
Fortunately, a week before I fell, I bought two audio novels by authors in the 10 to 15 slots on my list of favorites writers of popular fiction.
In the past, I've explained that I very rarely actually read popular fiction. I do enjoy listening to it as I drive or do things around the house.
So, at the moment, I'm listening to Nelson DeMille's, THE PANTHER, which I listened to as a library book a few years ago and enjoyed enough to buy at a 70% discount. Demille is getting up there in age and is not as sharp as he used to be but I still frequently LOL at his narrative. Even better, the book is read by Scott Brick, whose smart alec reading rhythm is perfect for Demille's style.
It's going be a long haul until my wrist mends and I'm sure there will be many long days until I get there. Today and the next few shouldn't be bad. This book is twenty one and a half hours long. (Demille is not known for his economic use of the word.)


BTW, I just got a call from a florist telling me that they have a delivery for me...for ME! I'm guessing that they're not from the Mountaintoppers in either Findlay or Harrisburg...but I'll let you know. I've been surprised, but not by either, in the past.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Bill. I would imagine it is tedious and painful, but I appreciate you taking the time to jot a few thoughts on here now and then. And, btw, those flowers aren't from me either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprise, Surprise!

    The well wishes represented by the flowers are, in fact and of course, not from a CGGC mountain top. They are from a dear friend in Colorado whom we have known for decades, who is a breast cancer survivor and one of two people who mentored Evie and me through the cancer journey nearly six years ago.

    Here's to good friends...

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE PANTHER is 19 CDs long. Currently, I'm listening to disc 6.
    Demille has two main, recurring characters: Paul Brenner and John Corey. Demille says that the two are really the same character placed in different settings. I prefer the Brenner novels. THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER is the best known Brenner. It was made into a movie a few years back.
    THE PANTHER is unique among Demille's novels in that both Brenner and Corey appear.
    Demille tells a story well but I often get tired before the story ends.
    So far, so good as I listen a second time.

    ReplyDelete