Sunday, February 21, 2016

Fresh Expression 2-21-16...And...On Being the Family Chaplain

We will have a nontraditional gathering today of an increasingly common type. Most of the Sunday group will gather at a different restaurant than is usual and share a meal. This one will be paid for by someone other than Evie and me, though we would be blessed to do so.


In this gathering, conversation will, undoubtedly, be seasoned with grace and we will achieve our most basic purpose in gathering, of not giving up meeting together, but probably nothing above that, along the lines of provoking each other to love and good works and, as in the case of most churches, no words of prophesy or revelation or knowledge or wisdom.


We are simply incapable of hosting a gathering these days. Evie lamented yesterday that the house is a mess. But she is working overtime, taking care of me living only slightly above the level of an invalid--you have no idea what you can't do if you only have one hand, for instance, I have not worn shoes for more than a week. Plus, all we are doing for my parents and now their generation of the family. More on that next.


------------


My dad is 90, and the fourth eldest and oldest remaining, of eight children. One of his two remaining sisters is very ill and is facing the amputation of her right leg above the knee. And she asked if her siblings would visit her in the hospital before her surgery.


So, Evie and I picked up mom and dad yesterday and drove them to the hospital. My aunt looks as ill as she is. Her daughter, a cousin whom I love but rarely see, was there. We discovered that my dad's remaining brother would arrive an hour after us so we waited so that three of the siblings and their wives could all be together at one time. I love all of these geezers dearly. Most of my best childhood memories include them and I was blessed by the time we were together.


As we were preparing to leave, some of them began to mumble that Billy, as I am still known, the, uh, Reverend, should say a prayer.


It has been YEARS since I prayed in a priestly role, as a member of the clergy who provides spiritual products and services to the unwershed laity and I was uncomfortable, but I did it.


Before I finished, I, and several others, were weeping.


I actually hate being viewed as a parish priest so this was a bittersweet experience. I did the, "I have become all things to all in order to save some" thing.


And, I realized that I am the family's chaplain. I'd rather, by far though, if all these people were men and women of repentance and faith.





4 comments:

  1. Back from the gathering, which took place at the restaurant which was formerly the locally famous Zinn's Diner.

    The meeting went about as I expected. Nice fellowship but a small group.

    One surprise was an update from one of our people was attempting to show mercy to a ne'er-do-well nephew who had been homeless. As of a few days ago, her attempt proved to be unsuccessful, as most are.

    I believe she acted appropriately from beginning to end, as did others, so a large part of the conversation amounted to her telling of the tale and our debriefing her and offering her encouragement and support. This really was a first effort on her part to live a life of mercy, and, so, this conversation, I think, was appropriate and necessary.

    And, the food in my meal was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally like posts like this. It resonated with me on a deep level. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete