Tuesday, February 23, 2016

I have been Diagnosed...with a Second Opinion

In the past eleven days, I have spent some time in the ER and in the operating room and in doctor's offices. And quite surprisingly and intriguingly, I have received the same diagnosis. Twice.


The first time was in the recovery room. I was really just coming to. One nurse was updating another one my case and she said, "This is Mr. Sloat, a pleasant male...". And then she went on to use technical language to describe the procedure performed on me and my condition. I was able to absorb that but, with the pain and nausea I was experiencing, thought little about it.


Then, yesterday I visited the surgeon. His PA did a preliminary exam, entered notes into the computer and left, but kept the screen open. When he was gone, Evelyn walked over to the monitor to read what was there and, somewhat surprised to see it, quoted, "A pleasant man..."


Apparently, it is a common practice for one medical person to alert others regarding the demeanor of a patient and there must be an established scale. And, twice, I have been assessed to be pleasant. Two for two. I'm batting a thousand.


(I mentioned last week that the Navigator who dealt with our family when mom and dad were evaluated for dementia went out of her way to say several times that it was a pleasure (note that word) for her to begin her day working with us.)


It seems that there is an objective and unsolicited consensus. I have been diagnosed. I am pleasant.


------------


After, I got the letter from Jack Selcher saying that I was being defrocked "for cause," I asked Dr. Richardson what the cause was, since no cause was mentioned. And, he said that no cause was actually mentioned but that in the Standing Committee several reasons were discussed. (None had to do with Christian doctrine or even with distinctive CGGC beliefs.)


What they did concern, in a broad sense was my, well, demeanor. One that I've noted in the past is that I fail to exhibit "exemplary piety." But, the truth is that, as I live in the world, and as I have been medically diagnosed, twice now, I do exhibit exemplary piety.


I BELIEVE THAT THE ISSUE IS NOT WITH ME, as medical professionals now attest.


WE, IN THE CGGC, ARE IN SPIRITUAL DECLINE AND I THINK THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE LEADERSHIP CULTURE THAT HAS HAD STEWARDSHIP OF OUR MINISTRY FOR MANY DECADES!


I believe that if there is to be discipline that I am not the one who should be its focus.


I have been medically evaluated. The problem is not with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment