Friday, February 19, 2016

Evaluating My Mom and Dad for Dementia

Yesterday my brother and his wife, my mom and dad and Evie and I kept appointments at a geriatric medical practice in Lancaster which specializes in the treatment of Alzheimer's and memory issues.
It was a momentous day for all of us.
Everyone in my generation was impressed. Clearly, these people know what they are doing.
A few observations:
First, the woman who served in the role of navigator told Evie several times that it was a genuine pleasure for her to begin her day working with our family. Apparently, our trust in the Lord and our joy in Him was immediately apparent to her and, apparently, it was, literally, remarkable, that is, able to be remarked upon. Her response to us encouraged me because, in the CGGC community, I hear that I am guilty of exhibiting a lack of "exemplary piety." I was blessed to be reminded that, in the real world, my walk with the Lord, along with others in my family, is viewed very differently.
Second, while this appointment was only for the purpose of evaluation, and not diagnosis, the process of evaluation was instructive. We are certain that dad will be diagnosed as suffering from a rather advanced stage of "vascular dementia," which is probably the result of a series of small strokes which were not recognized as strokes when they occurred.
Mom's case is less clear, to family members at least, at this point. And, her case is the more difficult for us to deal with, no matter what the diagnosis.
Third, one of the doctors spoke privately to my brother and his wife and said that, in the collaborative discussions among the members of the practice, he will fight for the sons and their families so that the doctors assume the role of bad cop with my parents. It is so difficult to see yourself being viewed increasingly as an enemy by a parent whom you desperately love, which is becoming the case with mom. Hopefully, future treatment will take us out of that position.
Anyway...the next appointment will be in about three weeks.


For the moment, I/we are encouraged.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, in commenting on an MRI that has been taken of my dad's brain, the doctor used a term I haven't heard for decades and which I didn't think physicians used in the twenty-first century: Hardening of the arteries. That's what dad has.

    ReplyDelete