Friday, December 28, 2018

One Last Promotion on the Job

When I left the ministry, I took a job as a part-time bagger at the Super Market where I still work. It was the first thing that came a long. I had no idea that I'd make a career out of bagging groceries.

Still, there was some money in the job and, as I began to realize, the position at the store gave me the opportunity to live the life I'd been preaching...and blogging...

...living as an ambassador of the Kingdom, yada, yada, yada.

The work I did at the store was appreciated by management and I really, really liked my coworkers.

Working in customer service gave me a chance to explore the life of servanthood. I think that my first months working in the store was a time of spiritual growth for me.

Then came job promotions. The first was offered to me quickly and out of the blue. I sought the second. The third was offered to me when a position opened up. I was chosen and offered the position before the opening became public knowledge.

Recently, I was told that I'm being elevated to another position. I wasn't asked or offered. It was assumed that in some reorganization, I'd fill a particular spot which I'd really worked my way into already.

And, I'm willing to accept it officially.

But, this is as far as I'm willing to go.

An old "Leadership" idea is known as the Peter Principle. The Peter Principle states that people in an organization rise to the level of "incompetence."

I don't think that, with this new position, I've reached my level of incompetence but I may be approaching it. But, I've advanced further than I expected to or desired.

I'm a geezer. And, I'm comfortable with what I will be doing for the most part.

And, most importantly, the new position will allow me to continue to do my ambassadorial work. My work as an ambassador of the Kingdom of God is my real job at the store and it always will be.

I've not forgotten that and it's unlikely that I will.

Interestingly, it's likely that my Kingdom vision about what I do has distinguished me and brought about my advancement. It makes me a better employee than I am a person.

There's not another job that could possibly want to do in the company.

I don't expect more offers for advancement, but I didn't see the last two coming.

But, this is it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment