Friday, December 14, 2018

Dad Died a Year Ago

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my dad's death.

It was a day of mixed emotions for me but, for me, personally, as far as dad is concerned, it was a time to be glad he's been freed from the haze of dementia.

His dementia journey was unusual. He became more pleasant and thankful with each passing day.

Yesterday, for me, was, more than anything, a time to remember the good about him.

As far as mom's concerned, I wasn't able to see her face to face. I called her but she wasn't in her room.

She didn't call me back.

Later in the day, she had someone, a nurses aide presumably, call Evie. But, mom didn't know why she wanted to call.

And, she certainly wasn't aware that it was the anniversary of dad's death.

Her own dementia has advanced far enough to shield her from that sadness.

So far, her dementia has also made her more pleasant and thankful. And, that's a blessing. But, it's a burden for all of us to go through again, so soon after losing dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment