Thursday, December 27, 2018

Losing the Millennial Generation

In preparing to write the post that appears below this one on the blog, I did a moment of research to determine the dividing lines between what we think of as generations. What, I wondered, is considered to be the age range of the people known as millennials?

According to what I found, Millennials are considered to be people born between 1981 and 1996. So, in 2018, the youngest Millennials are 22 years old.

As I saw those numbers, it struck me that the organized American church, for all of its failing and flailing, and all of its focus on Youth Ministry, has now lost another generation.

People between the ages of 22 and 37 are less interested and less involved in the church...

...and less committed to following Jesus, which is the only thing that is important, than the generations older than they.

American Millennials are a lost cause for Jesus.

The losing streak of parish priest dominated, institutionalized, Christianity continues.

When will they ever learn?

We must repent. Oh, we must repent!

1 comment:

  1. I believe we have to be careful what we term "the church." To me, the majority of the "institutions" are not really part-and-parcel of the Church of Jesus. So, taking what you've said here, I see great hope for those churches bent on the teachings of Jesus. In other words, this sounds like a GOOD thing to me. (After being involved in 54 text messages I've received today about our next "meeting" to discuss an atheist podcast with some millenials that I think desperately want to believe in Jesus). :)

    ReplyDelete