Monday, October 9, 2017

Suspend the Strategic Plan; Amend the Constitution

Now that the ERC Administrative Council has made the big move and decided to seek a new Executive Director, new possibilities and new crises are in play for our ministry.

According to Kevin's own word, the path the ERC Administrative Council chooses to determine how it will search for the next E. D. will be settled after it meets in November.

What I write next feels prophet-ish.

Normally when I get that feeling I let the impression simmer before I seek words for it but I don't feel like I should do that with this one.

As a body of believers, we have defied the initial wisdom of John Winebrenner and created a Constitution and By-Laws and we are bound to them (in spite of the apparent inclination of our current leaders who want to implement the new New Strategic Plan without the Eldership's authority).

The By-Laws make demands on the Conference as far as who may and may not assume the position of Executive Director.

I was actually on the Task Force that created those requirements. At the time, I was fully on board. But, at the time, I also thought that the Shepherd Mafia was a good thing for the Conference.

Now, I'm certain that the qualifications the By-Laws require create potential for future disaster.

----------------

To be qualified to be Executive Director, a person must have been ordained in ministry in the CGGC for at least ten years and have been a local church pastor for at least five of them.

The purpose of those requirements, as I recall, was to insure that the Executive Director be fully vested in ways of the Shepherd Mafia, that has been running things...

...and, as we must certainly know by now,...

...has run Winebrenner's movement into the ground.

It seems to me that if the ERC has any future at all, we're going to need to be able to consider a wider range of candidates.

Also...

...the impression of the people who are keeping me filled in...just the impression now...is that the new New Strategic Plan is very largely Kevin's brain child.

If that's so, bringing in any new Executive Director to execute this plan would be foolish...

...at the very best.

I really think that it's time to change who is qualified to be E. D. and to give the new person the chance to give input on the ERC's future path.

Amend the Constitution. Suspend the Strategic Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment