Friday, October 6, 2017

Dropping the ERC from our Wills

Since the first day I, a member of a very liberal UCC congregation, attended the Mt. Joy Church of God with my girlfriend Evelyn, I have loved the Churches of God.

It was in the Churches of God, in that day at least, that I first met people who loved the word and preached it and were committed to living out the gospel.

I was baptized as a believer there. It was as a result of that ministry that I became aware of a passion for God's truth that was so profound that that it became, and still is, the central focus of my life.

Evie and I have no children. So, when we were old enough to think about writing wills, we decided that the beneficiary of our meager fortune should be the church body that matured us and had become the focus of our life's work.

However, after the attack on my credentials and the expulsion of our ministry from the Conference by ERC leaders, in spite of my personal loyalty to CGGC doctrine and the ministry's devotion to the CGGC Mission and Vision Statements, leaving our money to the Conference didn't seem like a natural fit.

So, last evening we signed new wills disinheriting the church.

So sad, in our geezerness, to have come to this place.

A large chunk of our money will go to a mission whose work reflects our red letter beliefs.

Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment