Monday, March 13, 2017

An Older Kate Burkholder Novel

We're taking a week of vacation that is much-needed--in Myrtle Beach, which is in South Carolina.

The timing has turned out to be interesting. It's cold here. The high temperature yesterday was in the low 40s with a cold rain and lows are supposed to be in the 20s later in the week.

But, the forecast is for about a foot of snow tomorrow at home. It doesn't matter if there isn't a flake of snow. With this forecast, everyone in northeast Lancaster County will be in the store to buy milk and eggs and bread and, while they're there, fill up a cart with what's on sale. The store will be an asylum and the employees will not be able to keep up.

I am on vacation and one of the other managers is also off until Wednesday. With the forecast, the guy who does the Front End schedule offered extra hours to some of the part-time employees. He scheduled it as if it is a Saturday, but the crew he has will not be able to stay ahead of the rush.

And, I'm happy not to have to go through that. Those days absolutely convince me that I really am a geezer.

But, I see my job as an opportunity to be Jesus in the world and to incarnate the Kingdom. So, in that way, I'm sorry to miss out. Today will be a day in which the

---------------

Anyway...

For Christmas, Evie found a good deal on an audio version of the 2013 Kate Burkholder novel, HER LAST BREATH, by Linda Castillo. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and I'm enjoying it.

I really wore out my eyes when I was working on my degree in Church History so I never read recreationally. When I consume a novel it's always an audio book.

The Kate Burkholder novels are set in Holmes County, Ohio: Amish country.  Kate is the Chief of Police in the fictional town of Painter's Mill and the novels always involve an investigation among the people of the Amish community.

As I've said previously, Kate is no Miss Marple or Jessica Fletcher. And, there's more sex and violence than I need. I don't need any, but I guess I understand. This is 21st century popular fiction.

Linda Castillo tells a story well.  So far, this appears to be about a hit and run traffic accident but she's doing a good job with it. And, I'm relaxing nicely on my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment