Thursday, December 29, 2016

Oh Come Let Us Adore Him?

Lately, I have been disturbed, almost tortured, by the certain knowledge that people I know will be among the vast throngs who, on the Day, will hear Jesus say, "I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers."

This has been a concern for several years, as is evidenced by the fact that False, Flock-Based Righteousness is listed among my Sixteen Characteristics of the CGGC Brand. But, these days, I am feeling this concern with greater, well despair, than ever.

And, I believe that, because we just experienced the Christmas season, I am particularly aware of how crucial genuine righteousness is in the teachings and way of Jesus.

I work in a retail setting and I had contact with many hundreds of people as they were preparing for Christmas.  And, I found myself being sensitive to what Christmas was meaning to them as that day approached.

For many, it's just Xmas with no Jesus. For others, though, Jesus is a part of it, or, at least, attending a church service is.

For many regular church people, Christmas is an end unto itself--celebrating the birth of Jesus is the highlight of the spiritual year and, for many church people, it is an act of righteousness in itself.

Yet, I see nothing in what Jesus taught or did to justify that way of living. And, I fear for the souls of the so-called followers of Jesus who practice that sort of piety.

---------------

Jesus was very clear about the content of the faith that will qualify a man or a woman to be invited into the Kingdom prepared for them since the creation of the world.

It is a life of obedience to Him and of servanthood of the least among us, it's a life of mercy, of grace and love of the Lord with all of one's self and of neighbor as self.

It is a faith that produces fruit in self-sacrifice.

Celebrating the nativity may or may not be a part of that life but, if it is a part of that life, it can only be a small part of it.

---------------

However, for most of the people I observe who really groove on Christmas, Christmas is the big act of service and Jesus is a baby to be cuddled and adored, not the Living Word and Suffering Servant who came not to be served but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many.

This Christmas thing is a dangerous thing.

I fear for the souls of the people who groove on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment