Saturday, December 24, 2016

My 2016 Spiritual Assessment--A Third Prophetic Emotion

It has been my habit to use this time to year to assess where I am spiritually compared to a year ago. So, I just finished reading my end of the year assessment for 2015. It was interesting.

I wrote about my parents' mental decline, which continues. Last March, they were both formally diagnosed as having dementia, mom with Alzheimer's and dad with vascular dementia. Dad's is more advanced but less bothersome.  Alzheimer's sucks. Yesterday, my brother was visiting mom and dad when Evie stopped in and dad said, "Well, Evelyn! Roger, do you know Evelyn?" He was stunned to hear that they've known each other since Roger was in Jr. Hi.

Also, last year, I was chagrined about the defrocking and the unspiritual way it was done. I pledged to resist it. This year, the unrighteousness of ERC leadership in that matter has reached depths that would have been beyond my imagination, even a year ago. I am attempting to address a particular grievous sin committed against me according to the teachings of Jesus. The person who, I believe, sinned against me is resisting the process. I am determined, however. And, in better days, Ed Rosenberry rightly noted that I am "relentless." This is not the time to be specific in a public way, but I ask for prayers for that other person and for me.

Last year, I also reflected on the emotional nature of my life pursuing my belief that I am gifted to be a prophet. I mentioned two emotions that manifested themselves immediately, i.e., anger and sorrow.  In the past year, a third emotion has manifested itself powerfully: fear. Fear for the souls of the church people who miss Jesus in their devotion to the institutional church. I see so little of the life Jesus modeled and commanded in church people and, in particular, in some who see themselves as leaders of the church.

Finally, as I reflect on the state of my spiritual life at the end of 2016, I have to say that I am content, generally, with the state of my mission working at the store. I am now a front end manager and that position increases opportunities to be a presence for the Lord and the Gospel. I would never return to the role of parish priest in the CGGC or in any other setting but I groove on participating in the priesthood of all believers in a way I never enjoyed being a parish priest.

One other note: I have been blessed by the number of people from the CGGC who continue to reach out to me and offer fellowship to me. Most now respond to me as if I am a leper. I am blessed by the more than a few who continue to treat me as a brother.

2 comments:

  1. A comment on my emotion of fear.

    It has been recently that I have become fearful for the souls of the people of the church who seem to be ignorant of what Jesus demands in the way of righteousness.

    I should add, though, that, several years ago, I noticed how often Paul uses the phrase "fear and trembling," for instance, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." That working out of my own salvation has been central in my walk for some time. There is joy in my life and living one integrated spiritual life in the joy of the Lord's salvation and in fear and trembling is a challenge.
    But, in the Word, both are essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete