Sunday, December 18, 2016

Gathering: 12-18-16

A nice time today. Not that disciples gather to feel nice but, once in a while, it's not a bad thing. Today's was more Christmasy than fits my taste but it's not all about me.

An unusual feature of this gathering is that I led Word time. I don't do it often. Evelyn urged me to, so I did. When I do, it's always interactive and usually centered on a biblical story which I exegete on the fly, something I enjoy and feel I do well in the Spirit.

Today's was on the visit of the Magi.

Bread and Cup time was encouraging.  It connected the incarnation with the atonement and the resurrection.

The meal was yummy.

There was some sadness. Our friend Ward was absent. He's still in the nursing home recovering from a stroke.

---------------

I remember being exorcized, in the days of Brian Miller's blog, over churches that were not going to meet when Christmas was on a Sunday.  And, I still think that if you believe worship is an act of righteousness not worshiping on Christmas because it's a Sunday smacks of hypocrisy.

Having said that, we meet on altering Sundays and Christmas is an off Sunday for us. What we'd do if it was an on Sunday I can't say.

No comments:

Post a Comment