Monday, January 19, 2015

Ed, the High Church Gang and the Amish

I live in Amish country in Pennsylvania. Our local Wal Mart has a special parking area that provides cover for the horses that pull their buggies. Local culture is significantly impacted by Amish ways. Many of us here think about the peculiarities and the wisdom of the ways of the Amish.

As I think about the second annual Anglican Advent mass led by Ed and his High Church cronies, garbed in their priestly regalia, I think of their folly compared to the wisdom of the Amish.

When a person joins the church among the Amish, they join what the Amish understand to be the priesthood of all who follow Jesus. Men and women alike groom themselves and attire themselves in the same way every member of the church does.

This is an act of INCLUSION in the priesthood they all share. By the way they dress and cut and style their hair, the Amish proclaim that every one of them is INCLUDED in the Christian priesthood.

Imagine, now, those pics of Ed and the High Church gang, dolled up in their clerical collars at WTS. Now, think of the image of the congregation, all dressed in finery but all dressed differently than the leaders of the Mass.

What's the message?

The message is that the congregation is EXCLUDED from the Christian priesthood. How quintessentially Rosenberrian!

Where in the New Testament plan do you find justification for the farce Ed and the gang performed?

I never thought I'd compose these words but, if I have a choice between the Rosenberry Road or the way of the Amish? You can just call me Jakey Stoltzfus!

Thankfully, I don't need to make that choice.

We need to enforce accountability on the CGGC mountaintoppers. We need to enforce their repentance.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been told that Ed is a "good guy." I have nothing to attest to this fact. That's just what I've been told. Unfortunately, that's all I know about this. Unlike the Wayne Boyer years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will grant that Ed is a NICE guy. That he is a good guy is, I believe, doubted by many. And, I'm hearing more and more of that.

    At this point, this conversation is not about Ed but about whether or not the next CEO will be an Edward II figure who will carry on Ed's ways.

    The myth has been, among the mountaintoppers, that we all believe that Ed is a GOOD guy. However, I think the myth is now being debunked.

    ReplyDelete