Sunday, August 20, 2017

What I will Do during My First 100 Days as ERC E. D.

This blog generates much more conversation than you'd imagine from reading the blog itself.

My posts here do, from time to time, get commented upon in a public way that anyone who looks at the blog can see, so that others can note who is reading and thinking about what I'm writing.

Yet, no one who comments here, even fairly regularly, has anything to lose if the eagles who soar above CGGC mountaintops note that they read and think about...and even agree with...what I write.

The truth is that I am blessed by the reality that there are some sincere and thoughtful people who respond to my blog posts privately, mostly in emails, and that meaningful conversation, based on what I write, takes place. 

---------------- 

The fact that most comments about what I write here are private fascinates me.

No one who comments privately should have anything to lose by commenting on the content of this blog publicly. These are all people who, as I do, fully and enthusiastically embrace CGGC doctrine and Mission and Vision...

...but, then, maybe that's precisely the reason.

I am living proof of what can happen in the CGGC these days to someone who, fully and enthusiastically, embraces CGGC doctrine and Mission and Vision. 

No doubt, all of these people respond privately for their own reasons...

...but I have to wonder if all this private participation is evidence that there is the perception that ERC, at least, leadership is, to use a term bandied about in recent days...

FASCIST 

...in the sense that fascism involves strong, centralized, autocratic, dictatorial leadership.

I dunno. It would be self-serving for me to say that.

What I do know is that people whom I know to be good, devoted people in the CGGC/ERC, people who are serious in support of CGGC talk...

...talk to me, but do it secretly. 

---------------- 

Anyway, one of those people asked me, after my first, The ERC should Hire Me post, to declare what I would do if the ERC did hire me.

I'm not certain that I even responded to that comment. 

Then, yesterday, after my second, The ERC should Hire Me post, that reader of the blog wrote again wanting to hear what I'd do "during my first 100 days," then adding a 

:-)

...but, then, saying "...seriously,...I would like to know what you'd actually do - nitty gritty - if you were hired as Executive Director."

---------------- 

And, there is something I have in mind to do but, I'll, for the moment, say two things about why the question is not the perfect question. 

1. No matter what I have in mind now, I would walk, moment by moment, in the Spirit. 

One of the atrocities of the idea of a strategic plan is the notion that leaders believe they know, far in advance and in detail, how the Spirit will direct. 

And, we do have a boatload of history to prove that ERC leaders haven't known that to this point. 

2. My guess is that, for Dr. Richardson, the hope is that the new New Strategic Plan will work and that he'll be able to pull down that hefty Executive Director salary and benefits package until he retires in comfort.

So, let me be clear, when the ERC hires me as its E. D., my tenure will not last much longer than 100 days.

I know enough about how things work, and about my own geezerly energy level to understand that my program will probably take longer to accomplish than I think.

But, I'd go into my tenure thinking I'd do it all in six months but expect that what I do will be accomplished in a year. 

I'd ask my current employer for a leave of absence for six months to perhaps a year and promise to return to my job as soon as the Conference work is completed.

---------------

And, I'll add this, as far as ERC people are concerned: If I succeed, when I complete my task, there will be no need to pay an Executive Director or a staff of Directors. 

There will certainly be people serving the ministry of the Conference, but not leading it--we will trust the Spirit to lead. 

The people of the Conference may wish to support the labors of those who serve the Conference by taking offerings to cover the expenses of their servants. 

But, there will be, as a matter of principled obedience to the "New Testament plan," no professional and salaried people making a career off of the tithes and offerings of the people of ERC congregations. 

The Conference may, though, decide to retain paid clerical staff at least for a time. That is a decision others, a part from me, will make. 

The ERC should hire me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment