Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Debriefing Easter

I have, what at least used to be called, a secular job. And, as I've made clear, I reject Easter as a Holy Day, to the point that our Gathering simply ignores it.

So, on the job, I have paid close attention to the chatter about Easter these few days after Easter. Here are some observations:


Easter was, indeed, the topic of conversation among my coworkers in the first two days after the holiday. It was common for my coworkers to ask each, and me, how Easter went.

---------------

In conversation about Easter, most of the chatter dealt with the content of the meal, especially dessert. This surprised me. The tone of conversation matched what I would expect from the days after Thanksgiving.

---------------

When Easter activities were discussed, it was the paganish stuff that captured my coworkers' interest. Apparently, when there are young children and grandchildren involved, families have their own Easter egg hunts, or similar activities. Even though many of my coworkers are regular churchgoers, no one at all talked about what Little Jimmy or Suzy did in Sunday School or in Children's church. All of that sort of talk was about subjects entirely disconnected from the resurrection, or even church in the most broad sense.

---------------

There was no chatter at all about the church service or the sermon. It struck me that my coworkers were no more focused on the religious meaning of Easter than people are with the content of the content of the Declaration of Independence on the fourth of July.

---------------

The only talk about Easter Sunday I heard that was church related was some sharing of attendance numbers among two guys who attend different churches of the same denomination.  Easter show attendance figures. That's as spiritual as the conversation became.


I must say that, when I decided to notice intentionally the post-Easter chatter at work, I didn't expect the "true meaning" of the holiday to be so profoundly ignored.

I'm not certain how to understand this and, for the moment, at least, I won't editorialize, other to say that even I am surprised and that even my emotion is sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment