Sunday, July 17, 2016

Gathering: 7-17-16: In the Face of the ERC'S Ultimatum

We had a small group today, as is often the case in the summertime.  The quality of the fellowship was sweet, as is often the case in those small summer meetings.

We spent quite a bit of time in praise and discussing the idea, that someone read, that as the world gets darker, we must become lighter.  Evie and I have relatives who are missionaries in Turkey who are in the midst of pretty terrifying times.  We talked about how difficult it must be for them to be light in that darkness.

As the gathering progressed,  I began to think about the email I received from the ERC Commission on Church Renewal giving the group what seems to me to the ultimatum to have a pastor or have its relationship with the ERC dissolved.

And, I was imagining this group with someone telling them when to sit and stand and having the role of controlling when and how the gathering happens.  And, having met with no humanly devised plan for do long,  relying on the moving of the Spirit,  I can't see the people going back. But,  we will see.

I didn't bring up the email with the group today, though I will have to mention it before long in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment