Friday, July 22, 2016

A New Dog

A mere six and a half weeks after the death of our beloved Golden Retriever Maggie, we traveled, yesterday, to the Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue campus and interviewed five rescue dogs ranging in age from six to eleven years old.

When all was said and done, we came home with a nearly nine year old Golden who had the name Casey--which we will almost certainly attempt to change.

This was not my plan initially.   My thought was that we'd had the perfect dog in Maggie and that we didn't need to have another.

But it soon became obvious to me that Evie wanted another dog much more than I didn't want one.  In addition, Maggie became such an integral part of our ministry to the least of these people who are a part of our Sunday gathering.  And, even more than that, Maggie soothed my mom's anxiety and eased the effect of the Alzheimer's on her.

So,  I agreed to a new dog, even though I will never get over the loss of Maggie.

This one is nearly as gentle as Maggie was but seems more energetic than Maggie ever was.

It seems to me that she will probably adapt easily to a life in ministry,  such as ours is.

No comments:

Post a Comment