Saturday, July 16, 2016

De-Pantsing Faith Community

For more than a year, I've used this blog, as much as anything, as a journal of what takes place in my spiritual life and ministry.  What follows will, for me, more than anything else, serve that purpose.  Because others will certainly see this, I will keep references to other people as anonymous and generic as possible.

I received an email a few days ago from a member of the ERC Commission on Church Renewal informing me that the community of gatherings that I know as Faith Community had been the focus of the Commission’s attention at its most recent meeting.

Bottom lining the content of the email considerably, and for the purpose of this particular post, now that I have been defrocked, the Commission has decided that the time has come for it to act as far as Faith is concerned.

The Commission has considered a number of options.  However, the email mentions only two that are on the table as far as we are concerned: That the congregation choose to have a credentialed pastor or that the relationship between Faith and the ERC be dissolved.

Now, how big is the valley between those two peaks?

---------------------

Here's the thought going through my mind.  It's going to take me to place far down the road from that email.

When Lance ascended to the top of the highest CGGC mountain,  he wrote about embracing what he called,  "fresh expressions of church."  And, no matter what Faith may be, it is fresh, at least to the degree that it breaks the traditional mold for a church.

And, what's the ERC's view of that?  Faith can call a pastor or its relationship with the CGGC can be dissolved. I suppose that the "dissolved" part would be fresh.

Fine.  What happens to and with Faith is insignificant in the scheme of things.

-------------------

Here's what's big:

This is precisely why Lance's call for Kingdom focus will come nothing...unless there is serious repentance soon.

The actual people on the lesser hills of the CGGC don't take notions such as fresh expressions of church seriously.  And they will do the same with the call for Kingdom service:

Nothing.

Mark my words.

As is clear from the email I received,  here in the ERC at least, there are two possible realities.  The traditional pastor led church or nothing.

We must repent.

2 comments:

  1. Geez. As somewhat of an outsider who doesn't know too many ERC'ers, if I didn't know better I would think someone had an axe to grind with you. This action sounds personal to me. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan,

      I'm hearing you.

      Rest assured that the email went to some lengths to explain that the Commission was motivated only by a need to abide by Conference polity.

      However, everything in this Conference is dominated by shepherd values, which are rooted in relationship as the end all and be all of life in the church.

      I don't see how this could be anything but personal.

      Still, being who I am, it's not really possible for me to take it personally.

      For me, first and foremost, I see theological inconsistency.

      No doubt, I'll continue with my journal of these events.

      Delete