Monday, December 28, 2015

How We Spent December 25

Due to the big deal about I've been making out of rejecting the Catholic Holy Day Christmas, I think it would be worthwhile to comment on how I spent that day.


Both Evie and I are tired and we both need down time when we can find it. So, we took it easy early in the day.


It has become a family tradition for my brother's family and us to visit mom and dad. We did that beginning at 4:00. Our gathering lasted until nearly 7:00, which made a long day for mom and dad. Interestingly, the time was very Xmasy, not Christmasish, except that mom asked me to pray over the meal. To her, I'll always be a parish priest and I'm fine with that.


The time the family spent together was extremely upbeat, much more so than usual. It was enjoyable but, in the back of my mind, I was thinking that there was something frenetic about it, as if we were trying to have fun because we don't know if the family will be intact next year.


Maybe that feeling was all me. I took a few videos of dad opening Christmas presents, which had the feel of a four year old experiencing Christmas. That was sweet, yet sad.


Anyway, the family time was nice and probably will be very memorable, especially with the aid of the videos.


However, the most precious part of the day came when we returned home. Evelyn took a moment to grab some bread and grape juice and to lead the two of us in the Lord's Supper, focused on remembrance of the incarnation, not the nativity, and of the coming return of Jesus.


I live my life in connection with people who grab, with gusto, the idea that every disciples is a priest and that is a continual blessing.


Holy Day or not, it was a merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment