Monday, December 28, 2015

Fresh Expression: 12-27-15

It strikes me that, in other settings, after the emotional build up of the Advent season, climaxing in the extravaganza that is the Christmas Eve Show, the Sunday after Christmas would probably be a bit of a let down.
That would not be the case for us.
As I have already said, we don't do Advent, the very notion of a Christmas Eve extravaganza is anathema to us and, as a community of gatherings, we don't acknowledge the Catholic Holy Day Christmas.
So, no let down.
What yesterday was for us, was, really, a hyper-typical gathering.
A key couple didn't participate due to other commitments, which is normal for us because we don't believe that gathering is an act of righteousness.
One of our least of theses, Ward, was having a birthday. We always make a big deal of birthdays of our least of theses because no one else does. So, we did that but that is also within normal range.
Normal, though it was, it was a good time. It was really a normal fresh expression of church.
What was slightly outside the normal range is that I initiated Word time. I did it by reading from Philippians 2, Paul's discussion of how the incarnation should impact the disciple's l life all the time. Of course, I was standing on my "Don't fall for the Christmas Holy Day ruse" schpeel. We truly should not let the Shepherd Mafia turn the reality that God became flesh and tabernacled among us into a worship service or a series of services. It angers me that they do it. It saddens me that so many sincere people fall for the shepherds' shtick. (I didn't say any of that Shepherd Mafia stuff. But, I did emphasize the necessity to live in the world with the same attitude that Jesus had when He gave up heaven to live among us in the flesh.
The Word I shared was well received, which blessed me.
Evie led the taking of the bread and cup. The meal was a wonderful time of fellowship and the celebration of Ward's birthday was pleasant.
All in all, no emotional letdown. A good time in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment