Monday, December 21, 2015

Fresh Expression of Church: 12-20-15

In the past, I used this time of year to note how the quality of my ministry had altered/evolved since the same time twelve months ago.


Clearly, over a period of five to ten years it has changed considerably.


It is more difficult to assess the change in this year than it has been in the past. There are a number of reasons for that. One of them is that we are truly on new ground now. There was no plan or vision that guided us in the past year. I have abandoned the human vision paradigm completely. I attempt, as best I can, to live in the Spirit and to be prepared, at any moment, to do what He leads me to do. And, my sense is that others in the gatherings in which we participate have the same desire. I will say that I think I am better at attempting to live in the Spirit than I am in actually living in the Spirit. But my effort is sincere.


Another reason that it is difficult for me to assess change in the past year is that my role in the gatherings is far less central, on the human level, than it has ever been. Not only am I concerned about submitting to the Spirit, I also want to submit to what I see as the Spirit moving in others in a gathering.


---------------------


If there has been a change in me in the past year, it is that I no longer believe in celebrating Christmas. Early Christians certainly didn't celebrate it. While I think the nativity of Jesus is a crucial component of the message of the Gospel, (consider the "according to the Scriptures" part of Paul's description of the content of the Gospel at the beginning of 1 Corinthians 15). [I may expound on this later in a separate post.], the nativity of Jesus does not seem to have been a big deal in the early church. And, Christ-MAS truly is a high church invention.


I no longer believe in the religious version of Christmas and I won't celebrate it.


-------------------------


Considering my reduced self-chosen role in the leadership of the content of our gatherings, it stunned me that, during the nearly three hours we met yesterday, there was almost no reference to the religious holiday "Christmas" by anyone at all. The only thing we did that I can think of is sing, GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN."


Our Word time was lengthy and integrated into the an interactive preparation for the taking of Bread and Cup. There were many Scriptures read and discussed. Not one of them was connected to the birth of Jesus.


I participated in that and I was blessed by it and I was amazed by it.


-----------------------


One other aspect of yesterday's fresh expression came at a moment that the host of the Thursday gathering gave thanks for a blessing, not one he received, but one he was able to perform in the life of a least of these person. His testimony was powerful and touching and blessed me because it is fruit of our goal of spurring each other on to love and good works.


I am humbled to be blessed by this gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment