Thursday, January 17, 2019

Why I Registered as "Dr. bill Sloat" on the CONTAGIOUS Blog

As I said earlier, there was a time I tried to register in the past. The program administering CONTAGIOUS said I'd receive an email confirming my registration and it never came. Perhaps, in some way, I failed to complete the process properly. I don't know.

I tried again to register to comment on Michael Martin's post, "Broken in Acting Instead of Being," and gave my name, as I do, as "bill Sloat."

The site responded saying that I had used illegal characters. Just to be certain that there wasn't an error I couldn't see, I tried the same thing again and got the same response.

So, I figured that, perhaps, the site didn't like the small case in bill, so I tried "Bill Sloat." And, I got the same message.

Frankly, I was already wondering at that point, if it was my name, period, that was what was illegal as far as the CONTAGIOUS blog is concerned.

Next, I tried putting something in front of "bill" to see if that was legal. The first thing that came to my mind was, "Dr.."

I tried it with "bill Sloat" EXACTLY as I spelled it two times earlier when that spelling of my name was illegal. With the letters in front, it was legal and I was permitted to register.

So, I couldn't register as bill Sloat but with a prefix to those words, the words, "bill Sloat" were legal.

That is a truthful account of how I've come to be registered on the CONTAGIOUS blog in the way I am and not, simply, by my name.
Of course, Michael did publish my comment, which he didn't have to do.

Then, again, I promised to detail what the comment was if it didn't appear on the blog. And, the comment certainly wasn't offensive and, I think, was actually constructive. Ifc anyone cared, I believe it would have been difficult to justify censoring it.

You can draw your own conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment