Sunday, September 16, 2018

Hearing Nasty or Untrue things said behind my Back

Just recently someone passed on to me, quite accidentally I'm certain, some either untrue, nasty or both, things that have been said about me behind my back.

This was in a CGGC context. Don't try to guess if it was you who alerted me to them. I won't say. This has happened several times.

And, here's the thing.

What I heard said about me doesn't bother me precisely BECAUSE it's being said in a community of people who identify themselves with the church and with Jesus...and it's become so normal for it to happen.

I got used to sniping and exaggerations and, well, lies spoken behind my back shortly after I committed to live as a prophet. It surprises me how little I care, and how easily I can forgive when forgiveness is sought.

What's new in this is that it occurred to me that, if the same thing happened on my real-life job, I'd be devastated.

I'm going to be thinking this through for a long time. I don't know exactly what to make of it, but there is significance here...about being part of an institutionalized church, and living in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment