Thursday, July 12, 2018

I'm not Jesus but I Play Him in the World

At the first moment I thought about blogging this, I was going to say that apparently, surprisingly, I do it fairly well...

...but, as I think it through, that's not true.

What I do think, is that I do it waaaaaaaay better than most church-goers in my world, at least.

Most church-goers in my world, most, but not all, buy into the, "If I'm a church attender, I'm a consumer of religious products and services provided by the pastoral staff of the church I attend," understanding of what it means to be a Christian.

Virtually all the Christians I know are either consumers of religious products and services or members of the 21st century version of the clergy class which provides those religious products and services.

I'm neither.

I have a job in which I consider myself to be an ambassador of the Kingdom of God, yada yada.

I, intentionally, go through the work day attempting, moment by moment, to be, as best I can, Jesus.

It's hard work, for me, at least.

To do what I do, I do apply two strategies.

1. The less helpful of the two: I imagine Jesus being where I am and ask the WWJD question and, often, I don't get a clear answer.

2. I focus on a few of the teachings of Jesus that are important to me.  One of those is that anyone who doesn't deny themself can't be His disciple. During a typical work day, I do a ton of self-denying. I work in customer service!
Another of those teachings is that it is the merciful who will receive mercy. And, I need to receive mercy.
Two others come into play. They are the "turn the other cheek" and "walk the second mile" teachings. Many days, I wish Jesus hadn't'a said those.  But, painful as it is, I, at least try. And, most days, that second cheek is sore, as are my feet from going those second miles.

What I've noticed is that difficult customers AND coworkers gravitate to me and, as much as they can, seem really to like me. And, occasionally, are nice to me but, really, are mostly still difficult.

And, I want to say, "Lord, why, because I obey you, do I get saddled, with the scumbodies more than other people!?!?!!!?"

But, then, that's the point, isn't it!

Through repentance and faith, poor Jesus took on me.

Every time one of those hard cases picks me out...because they know I'll give them a chance to slap both cheeks and that I'll go the second mile, even if I'm not always smiling...

...I am reminded that He did more for me than I could ever return.

And, from what I know of the first generations of the Christian movement, and most revival movements...when they were still movements, the self-denial, showing mercy, cheek-turning, second-mile-walking values ruled the Christian culture.

You want to know why the church is declining in the West today?

I'm not really very good at playing Jesus in the world. But, I consistently attempt to play the role in the world.

Some believers I know attempt to play the role of Jesus. But, far too many seem to think they do their bit for Jesus by attending an occasional Sunday morning show.

No comments:

Post a Comment