Thursday, March 22, 2018

The Glenn Frey Factor

There was a time that I was big into NASCAR, during the Winston Cup days.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it today but I was a big Jeff Gordon fan in the year he had 13 wins. (1998?) I'm almost ashamed to admit that I was a big Jeff Gordon fan ever.

And, I really didn't like Dale Earnhardt back in the day.

I was watching the Daytona 500, at a church-related 500 party, on the day "the old man" died.

Even though NASCAR fans are very serious about whom they like and dislike, I thought that it was a good thing, when Kevin Harvick got Earnhardt's ride, that he was not given the number 3, but was assigned the 29.

And, even though every Earnhardt fan I've ever talked to didn't care, I was against the number 3 being given to Austin Dillon.

Some years back, Evie enjoyed the TV show Trading Spaces and I was a much bigger fan of the original host, Alex McLeod, than I was of Paige Davis.

And, though it was my era to be into popular music, I really was rather lukewarm toward he group The Eagles until they rebanded in the 90s for their Hell Freezes Over tour. Since then, they've become my group.

I was deeply saddened to learn of the death of Glenn Frey in 2016 and, based on the Earnhardt and McLeod things, you can understand that I think that the band should just leave well enough alone and not try to go on.

I'm not happy that Frey's son, Deacon, has been brought in to do some of his dad's songs.

And, Vince Gill?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, the Eagles exist no more...despite the fact that these concerts are being very warmly received.

The Eagles are the Beatles to me...a thing of the past. Can you even try to imagine Paul and Ringo replacing John and George and calling that group The Beatles?

It's occurring to me that there's a distinct and consistent pattern in these things.

And, I'm trying to be honest with myself about it. But, I don't think I'm the sort of person to be resistant to change.

===============

I usually think of myself as a radical and progressive in my denomination. Rumors persist that I've been defrocked by it...

...and, you don't normally think of the stodgy and traditional, people who love the old ways, being treated in the way I've been treated by the leaders of an institution.

No one screams more loudly in our group for change...NOW...than do I...

...but, the change I want to see, while it would be a radical move forward for our group, which is now deeply entrenched in recent traditions, is connected to the vision and passion of our group's early days.

So, I dunno. Am I turning Glenn Frey into John Winebrenner, or vice versa?

Take it easy, man, take it easy.

----------------

I'd dearly love feedback on this one from people who have even a passing personal knowledge of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment