Sunday, September 10, 2017

My Dad: Comfort Measures

I'm a geezer and, even at my advanced age, both of my parents are still living.

During my years as a parish priest in the CGGC, I saw many people die. There's a lot I know about death and dying.

And, I know that the laws and standards that guide medical professionals have changed.

What I am surprised about, as my dad's health declines, is that the PA who's caring for dad, has told us that because of the content of dad's Living Will, "comfort measures" are being put in place for dad's care.

I wasn't present for that conversation. I heard it from Evie who met with the PA along with my brother.

The whole family is on board with that decision so I don't know how things would be different if we were uncomfortable.

But, dad's wishes, expressed in his Living Will, rule.

He's been moved to a Skilled Nursing private room and put in bed.

He prefers to be still with his eyes closed, though he still does open his eyes and he mumbles or moans when spoken to.

He has no appetite and, as far as I know, no thirst.

His heart and lungs are healthy but his brain is shutting down.

It could be days, maybe a week, maybe more.

For the most part, he seems to have some awareness that he's dying.  He'll mumble things like, "I didn't think it would end this way."

Mom, who has moderate Alzheimer's and almost no memory, understands as well as her mind allows.

They are living in different rooms in the home. The staff of the home in her unit is marvellous.

I have a tough schedule at work this week and, of course, I am a manager. How well I'll meet my obligations to the job remains to be seen. I've talked to the manager who manages me. I've essentially told her what I'm going to do. I didn't ask.

For me, this emotional stuff takes a toll on me physically. And, I'm still struggling with vertigo--which probably is fruit of emotional stress and physical exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment