Friday, November 7, 2014

Pastoral Call

I stopped functioning in the role of a parish priest/pastor years ago. I can't describe the role I have drifted into but my calling is not to be a parish priest. I'm not good at doing that stuff. I hate it and the Lord has never blessed it.

However, I sort of fell into that role yesterday. A guy who gathers with our Sunday and Thursday groups had some outpatient surgery yesterday and Evelyn cooked their evening meal, which I delivered. I hung out for about a half hour.

As I drove away I realized that what I did ended up fitting the parish priest role.

What a blast from the past!

I enjoyed it but I'm glad it's not expected.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that. Personally, I have had several people comment to me lately something along the lines, "See, you're still a pastor," after I've done something similar. It definitely has a place, and I don't mind doing it when the time calls, but that's a far cry from that being the general expectation of the office. Like you said, I too suck at it when it's just expected.

    ReplyDelete