Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Latest Kate Burkholder Novel

I'm a bachelor for a week.

Evie's on her way to Florida to stay at a time share we've owned for about 25 years. It's actually worked out well for us. It's a nice place, three miles down the road from Mickey.

We've been worn out on the attractions for years but the resort the time share is a part of is nice and it can be restful and relaxing.

Today is exactly six months since Evie's heart surgery. This past Friday was her last cardiac therapy session. She's doing well.

Evie and our niece have vacationed together a few times and always enjoy themselves. They're two years apart in age, grew up as neighbors and are more like sisters.

So, it's the dog and me.

On Friday I went to the local library, as big as a large closet, to pick up a few novels on audio. There wasn't much there that was of interest and new for me.

I took home a previously listened to John Grisham and a Michael Connelly and the latest Lee Child, Jack Reacher novel, a Lisa Scottoline and the latest Kate Burkholder by Linda Castillo.

The pick of that litter for me is the Kate Burkholder.

Kate Burkholder is the sheriff of mythical  Painters Mill in for real Holmes County in Ohio, the heart of Ohio's Amish country. Every novel in the series that I know has been about murders among the Amish.

Castillo uses the stories to offer information about and insight into Amish religion and culture.

The stories are reasonably well told but it's Castillo's weaving of the Amish faith and culture in them that fascinates me.

This one's typical. Good enough. Uncharacteristically preachy, though...like a bad John Grisham...in a #MeToo sort of way.

But, as always, I like it for its exploration of the lives of people who understand Christianity as, above all, lifestyle.

Certainly, I'm not into the Amish understanding of the obedient Jesus lifestyle. Still, to believe that to be a Christian is the way you live?

I see far too little of that in the churchy people I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment