Thursday, February 28, 2019

Her Father Murdered Her Mother

Okay. I work as a manager of the Front End of a grocery store. While the store compensates me, I see my real job as being an ambassador of the Kingdom of God. The job empowers me to share life with about two dozen millennials and post-millennials at any given time.

Years ago I was a "Youth Pastor" for a time, but this is real ministry.

Anyway, I meet lots of different kinds of people on my job.

One of the high schoolers who joined the team a few months ago has a unusual and tragic past.

Eleven years ago, when she was six years old, her father murdered her mother. He was subsequently convicted of first degree murder.

Each one of the school kids is, of course, unique. But, I'll call her Suzy, is obviously, toting some heavy duty baggage.

I have a responsibility to her, of course, as her boss but, also, more importantly, as a lover and follower of Jesus, to be salt and light in her life.

Every time I interact with her, even in the most superficial way, what I know about her past is in my mind.

And, it frustrates me that I'm not as free to be myself with her as I am with others.

It's a challenge for me to know how to be salt and light here. I learned early on that there is incredible power for the Kingdom when, as a disciple, I'm, simply, me, when I walk in truth, in His light.

And, that's precisely the point. The "simply" part of simply being me is, somehow, compromised.

I must repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment