Thursday, April 5, 2018

A, uh, Promotion on the Job

Long story short:

There are five Front End managers in the store. Nearly two years ago, I was offered the Manager 3 position. I accepted.

It's probably a more complicated job than you'd imagine. There's definitely more to it than I expected when I accepted the position. It's far more intellectually challenging than being a pastor--for me, at least. It's a different kind of thinking.

The way that the manager positions are designed, Managers 1 and 2 do more of the thinking work than the other managers.

As time has passed, I've assumed some of the work of the first two managers...and have volunteered to do more of that work than I've been permitted to do.

-----------------

So, Manager 1 had an appointment with a doctor on Monday and, then, called Number 2 to say that she learned that she will need to have two surgeries and will not be able to return to work for as long as 8 months.

We knew that something like this was a possibility. So, we were not surprised. But, we were not as prepared as we might have been.

The bottom line is that, for all intents and purposes, I, suddenly am, in effect, Manager 2.

I am Number 2. (No doubt, I will soon know the answer to the question, "Who does Number 2 work for?" Sorry.)

Anyway,...

...I'm being initiated into the world of the Elite Front End managers at the store.

I'm an old dog to be learning all these new tricks.

-----------------

My sense is that my actual, real mission on the job...to function as an ambassador of the Kingdom of God...is compromised to a degree when so large a part of my concentration is directed toward achieving competence on the store job itself.

Pray for me, for my small role in advancing the cause of the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment