Sunday, June 5, 2016

The CGGC Executive Director as THEOLOGIAN-IN-CHIEF

I'm very excited to read Lance's last two eNewses with their promise of leading a refocus of the CGGC from church obsession to Kingdom service.


As I've noted, that shift has been a concern of this blog from its beginning. And, I'm certain that, as Lance develops the topic, I will agree with him as much as anyone in the CGGC does, and more than most others, even in CGGC leadership, will.


More than that, I suspect that Lance will advocate doing things we have been doing here for years.


Taking all of that for granted, I have a profound 40,000 foot concern.


THE CGGC IS A CONFERENCE, AN ELDERSHIP, A BODY THAT BELIEVES THAT ULTIMATE HUMAN AUTHORITY, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE GREATEST HUMAN WISDOM, RESIDES IN THE COMMUNITY OF THE CALLED.


In recent years, through the eNews, the CGGC Executive Director has assumed the role of CGGC Theologian-in-Chief. In this role, that person has taken on himself the authority to speak truth for the entire body. (Not that anyone seems to care because few in the CGGC care about truth.)


An example of this which sticks most painfully in my crawl is the pronouncement, several years ago, that leading the church is like leading a bank.


The dangerous reality in this is not that EDs speak as if they define truth for the body but that no one in the body except me objects.


Lance, to this moment at least, is not inviting the Conference into a conversation on Kingdom/church. He is speaking truth TO the Eldership as if he has the authority to.


As I said, I expect to agree with what Lance says, and I expect he will advocate that others do what we here have been doing or, at least, had been doing.


But, I am convinced that if he goes about it as our Chief Theologian, this Kingdom thing will simply die out quickly as nothing more than a minor, come to nothing, CGGC fad.


We must begin our repentance with what can be seen from 40,000 feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment