Thursday, July 2, 2015

Why Gathering was Cancelled: 7-1-15

I start work early on Wednesdays and I always turn off my phone except during breaks.

A participant in our Wednesday gathering starts an hour later than I do, showed up and saw me and told me that she just received a text from Evie saying that gathering had been cancelled because my dad was just ambulanced to the hospital.

Bottom line: A long time problem he's had with an undiagnosed allergic reaction, probably autoimmune, which causes his tongue to swell dangerously suddenly reoccurred.

Evie was already at the hospital by the time I called her and she told me he was being treated and was stable but that the stress of the day would be far too much for her to handle if we also had to host gathering.

In the end, we called off the Thursday gathering as well. Today, I'll be taking our next door neighbors to Reading Hospital for an appointment with his doctor. We know that we will both be very drained by the end of the day.

These are dark days for us. In addition to the issues of caring for my mom and dad and our neighbors, my sister-in-law's father is in the last days of his life, dying from complications related to Alzheimer's.

In the midst of all of this, I must add that it is a blessing to live in intimate community with the people who join us in gathering. Those people help us feel the presence of the Lord even in our darkest hours.

On a distantly related note, the answer to those two questions remains in the negative.

3 comments:

  1. Bill,

    One of my favorite stories is in the book ReJesus, by Frost/Hirsch, on p. 193. It's an imaginary meeting between Peter and Paul. Not sure why your post made me think of it, but thought I would share it. I'm sure you've read it before. It always brings a smile to my face though. Grace and peace to you both. You know the Story.
    ---------------------------------------------

    And so it goes. Two tired men sharing back and forth, recounting stories of new cells in Asia Minor, new converts in Europe, new developments in Greece.

    Finally Paul says, "Peter, I'm not sure when I'll see you again..."

    "You say that every time we get together."

    "I know, and it's always true. But in case our paths never cross again, can you tell me about him one more time."

    Peter smiles sadly, "Oh, Paul, you've heard me tell you those stories a million times. You tell them yourself better than I do."

    Paul leans forward toward his friend, "Comrade, I've been beaten, abandoned, betrayed, shipwrecked, and left for dead. It's hard to think of a cell I've planted that isn't in the grip of some crisis, personal or doctrinal. I'm not well. I'm often hungry. And, well, according to some of my friends, I look like an old man. The revolution is unfolding, slowly but surely. Ah, the things we've seen. But at times it feels arduous. I long for the Lord as the watchman longs for the end of night. And there are times when I wonder whether these small, struggling cells we're planting will become the movement we dreamed of. Yes, I do wonder. Even after all I've seen and done. All we've seen and done..."

    Then he fixes his eyes firmly on Peter's and says, pleading, "Tell me again."

    ReplyDelete
  2. ReJesus is the second most important book I have encountered on my journey. I love the story. Can't see what made you think of it, but thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For our prayer partners, my sister in law's dad passed away this morning.

    ReplyDelete