Monday, December 29, 2014

An Offer to Buy Faith a Church

Recently someone who doesn't know my history with the traditional church but who knows me through my job to be, using his words, as a person of "peace"--and who has some moolah--actually hinted that he would be willing to provide my "group" with a church building to be an actual church in.

He was literally willing to commit hundreds of thousands of dollars to support our ministry and actually called his real estate broker.

What an absolutely generous offer!

------------------------------------

I've had so many thoughts about the offer.

First, I've been trying to figure out the best way to explain to him how repulsive the idea of having a church building is to the group.

Also, this offer has served to help me understand how far I have moved from what people normally think of as living the Christian life.  I've been musing over the headaches we no longer have and the blessings that now are ours because we no longer possess property.  And, also thinking, "Ick!" over the prospect to going back to all of that stuff.

And, there is the realization that many people assume that we'd want to be a real "church" and to be that we'd need to have a sanctuary and a steeple and a pulpit and a set of pews.  For you New Testament plan people, where do you find those things in the New Covenant?

-----------------------------------

Interestingly, this same guy DESPISES "organized religion" yet he would invest heavily in the mission of our group which is devoted to living out mercy and practicing the love Jesus commands.

For him apparently, seeing people follow Jesus simply and primitively is inspiring!

------------------------------------

If the offer had come when we were still practicing progressive Christendom-ism, I certainly would have taken it as an answer to prayer.

Thank God, it didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment