Friday, June 28, 2019

Nick DiFrancesco's Most Quoted Saying (to me, anyway)

I've received several very similar versions of it:

"We say the Bible is our guide for faith and practice. It isn't."

As far as I can tell, everyone from the ERC who's in regular contact with me has relayed this quote to me at least once.

Interpretations of the significance of these words have all also been similar.

People are noting that what Nick said is central to my take on the cause of the spiritual decay and numerical decline of the CGGC, and particularly the ERC, for about the past three decades.

It is.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, in regular contact with me is saying that Nick is a breath of fresh air.

I've never met Nick, so I only know what I know second hand.

What I know is that people who are sympathetic to my take on the debacle of the ERC in the past few years are encouraged...and, some, even, optimistic.

Optimism in the very cynical ERC? That's new for me...and, I've been around for more than 40 years.

Nevertheless, as I see it, Nick is facing some serious challenges.

One of them is the CGGC's deeply rooted history of talking a radical Bible talk yet walking a very bland, traditional, walk.

The people who've been, uh, leading the ERC for decades always have been content to talk radical Bible talk without turning from fallen, traditions.

They're very comfortable with strong Bible talk. But, Bible walk? Not in many, many years!

They, and the rest of the ERC, are going to have to repent of decades of Talk-ism.

Getting CGGCers to change what they actually do will not be a cake walk.

Can Nick lead that change...in behavior?

Based on what I see, up here at 40,000 feet: Nick has the spiritual gifting to lead dramatic change, at least through the calling out of a remnant.

What I've said numerous times lately, in private conversations, is that it can happen but only...

...by the grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment